Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Desserts à l'Americaine - American Desserts in France

I'm not sure if the French would admit it or not, but they have a love affair with all things American and English. There is not a day that goes by where I don't see something in Franglais. It seems that companies are using more and more English phrases to sell their products. Like we use Skip Detergent and its Active Clean. or replacing oui with yes

And I can't seem to put my finger on why, English has become so popular. Do they think an English slogan presents a more confident product or service ? Do they like how it sounds ? (They still have French accents and pronounce it à la française). What are your thoughts ? Comment below

Anyway back to the post, the newest obsession seems to be American desserts, like the French need to expand their pastesserie repertoire.
There is le brownie, le muffin, le cake pop, le whoppie, le donut, le cupcake, le cookie, etc. There are even cupcake and coffee shops starting to pop up. So, maybe my dream of eating Panera will come true or maybe I just need to learn how to make bagels! And, thankfully due to the success of our fine desserts, I have started to find cake pans, cookie sheets, muffin tins, etc. Because I love to bake, if you didn't already know that.
I have even seen Nestle cake, brownie and cookie mixes, even though we all know it is better to make things from scratch!! Business idea ??!!!

Back in September, M6 (a French channel) presented a 6 minute segment on donuts, video in French. They said that donuts became popular because of the Simpsons because the one character (I don't watch it, so maybe you can let me know his name) likes to eat donuts.


Here is an Oreo commercial in French, with English Subtitles, so cute!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment