Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pregnancy : Paperwork

12.12.12 was a good day, it was the day I discovered I was pregnant and so my adventure began.

First, after confirming my pregnancy with a blood test, I found out that I would have to declare my pregnancy to my health insurance and the CAF. The declaration would need to be sent before my 14th week of pregnancy. Interesting fact : In France, a baby is not considered an official pregnancy until the woman is 14 weeks pregnant. Because of the risk of miscarriage and I guess the woman has 14 weeks to decide if she wants to keep her future baby (which in itself is another post - sidenote I am totally against abortion). The CAF also gives you a stipend of 900 euros at the 7 month mark just for having a baby, like an incentive.  This incentive helped us stock up on all those diapers, wipes and other baby necessities.

I sent my papers sometime in January to the RSI, my health insurance provider. Sidenote : RSI is for those who are independant workers. But they ended up losing the paperwork I sent, apparently there was a specific place I was supposed to send it and I had to end up sending it again this time to the right address. Finally I was declared and was able to receive full healthcare benefits at 6 months!

Also, I bought this book, French Mama's Pregnant in France which really helped make my pregnancy adventure easier. Because the book is in French and English and there is a quiz and vocab section at the end of each chapter, which helped to make doctor's visits and what to expect easier.

French vocab :
formulaire déclaration de la grossesse : pregnancy declaration forms.
assurance maladie : health insurance  - the most common form of insurance
CAF (caisse d'allocations familiale) : family allowance fund
enciente - pregnant
J'attends un bébé - I am expecting a baby
prise de sang - blood test

No comments:

Post a Comment