Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Baklava

I finally have some time to post a recipe for Baklava, that I know people have been waiting for !
The Baklava that I have known to make is the Turkish one (I wonder why that is, haha!) I usually make baklava for special occasions like the end of Ramadan or the Eid. But sometimes I just make it to make it.

There are two different kinds that I usually make : rolled up ones that look like catepillars and regular squared baklava.

Here is the recipe for the squared :
Ingredients : finely chopped walnuts, 250g of melted butter, and phyllo (usually 40 sheets)

1. Open up the phyllo, be careful because it tears easily 

If you are not fast at putting each layer on, cover the phyllo with a towel. Because it tends to try out fast.


2. Butter the pan, preferably round. and layer 8 phyllo sheets brushing butter on each layer
3. after 8 layers, generously put walnuts on top and then do another 8 layers and lightly sprinkle walnuts.


4. After the second 8 layer phyllo, place another 8 layers on top and add the additional butter. You might have sheets left, so save those for later, I will post the catepillar recipe soon. If you get confused about the 8 layers think about this : 1. 8 2. walnuts +8 3. walnuts + 8 4. Butter and oven

5. Cut square pieces depending on how small and big you want them. A sharp butcher's knife works best. Put in a hot oven at 350°F and let cook until tops are golden brown or almost burnt. Make the sugar sauce while the baklava are in the oven

6. Sauce : For every cup of sugar add a cup of water. For the baklava that I did below I used 10 cups of sugar. Boil the sugar and then simmer the sugar also add 1 tsp of lemon juice (this prevents the sugar from crystalizing), I just guess on the time.

7. Pour on top of the baklava and cover with aluminum foil and stick somewhere where your husband won't eat them. Baklava is good the next day.

8. and then enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment