Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

SSD Part III

Probably by now you have figured out the shady reputation that this neighborhood is known for, if not I'm going to tell you.

As soon as you step off the metro @ Strasbourg Saint Denis or Chateau d'Eau, you may notice a line of black African men standing in the corridors or at la sortie de metro. These men may approach you and ask if you want your nails or eyebrows done, but mostly they are selling hair products for African women. and they are working off commission, so sometimes they resort to harrassing and pulling your arm. Since I have been going there, I have been only asked once. Usually I hold on to the arm of my husband and they don't approach me. Don't be alarmed and just say no.

Another problem is prostitution. The number of women you see may depend on the time of day, usually there are more women at night. and the pimps often stand with them on the street, to encouraging selling. Y and I were asked if we wanted to do a threesome with a woman and I just looked at the pimp and said "WTF". So that is why SSD has a bad reputation, but don't be scared off.

DO:
- check out the neighborhood and take in it's wonderful qualities
- have fun, you are on vacation
- walk with people you trust
- check out my previous ideas and let me know what you think

DON'T:
- walk around at night/early morning, it can often be dangerous
- act stupid or walk drunk, it is easier for people to take advantage of you

Please comment if you have other suggestions, about visiting the area or if you have encountered it's fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment