Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Life with no dryers

When I first arrived in France to study abroad in 2008, I was shocked that my homestay mom was only going to allow me to do one load of laundry a week. But I soon came to the realization as to why, no dryers  and no line to hang up laundry either !


Even now in our apartment, I can easily do 5-6 loads a week, and there are only 2 of us !  All of our clothes, towels, etc all add up and add weight on our drying rack. I have already broken a few !

Sometimes I can admit I miss a dryer, especially when I spill something on my favorite shirt that I wanted to wear later in the day. In the States, I could easily slip that into the dryer, but in France I would have to wait 2 solid days to wash then dry it particulary when it's pouring rain and not a speck of sunshine in the sky.

But having no dryer does have it's perks. It saves money and electricity (because if you didn't know electricity is expensive in France and gas too.). It takes up space and there is no room for another electrical appliance in our apartment. We had to get rid of counter space for a dishwasher !
our whirlpool washer

Do you think you could live without a dryer ?

No comments:

Post a Comment