Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Monday, March 26, 2012

3 Words that I don't like hearing

"Vous êtes anglaise?" Are you English ? It seems like everywhere I go, I am asked at least three times or more a day this question. And I give them a stare and say rather annoyingly "Non, je suis américaine. No, I'm American". Sometimes it really gets on my nerves because I don't think an American French accent and English French accent sound the same. But maybe in the French's ears it does.

Sometimes, I think it's the fact that I speak good French and they assume an American doesn't know how to speak that well.
Today, I went to get my health insurance figured out, I will write about this later. But the man stopped me halfway through to ask if I was English and I said, no american. He was like but you speak really good French and I replied, I have a Masters in French and I work in France, so I need to speak really good French.

He then said "Très bien" and printed off my paper which proves that I have insurance and I went along with my day.

Feel free to share your stoires.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment