Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Welcome / Bienvenue / Hosgeldiniz

Assalamu alaykom, Hi, Bonjour, Merhaba, and everything else in between. Welcome to our blog about the multlingual and cutlural adventures th...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Current Projects

Currently, I'm working on my final Masters project for school, a concert with American music representing Kentucky, a classical music piece by Mozart and/or Mussorsky, and a Turkish folk/classical piece. My project is focusing on two regions that are unknown in a country that is very well known. Also the concert will present the more humorous side of these two regions: Paris, London, Versailles and Louisville all famous cities located in Kentucky! as well as the castles and mosques of Elazig!

For example, when I tell French people that I'm from the US they automatically think New York. I tell them politely "no I'm not from there, I'm from Kentucky" and the looks and responses I get are so funny "KFC"? "Where's that?". And then I have to explain that Kentucky is in the center part of the eastern part of the US and then explain that I have never been to New York, which was once again is a shock. The same goes for my husband who is literally from a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, and every single time someone asks if its near Istanbul, he gets angry because Istanbul is not anything like where he is from.
  
Therefore, this project is a way of connecting two cultures (American and Turkish) in a culture that is not like either of these, the French.

At the moment I am in the process of finding music and groups to play the pieces I have picked out. If any of you, the adventurers know of someone or a song representative of these two cultures, don't hesitate to contact me, I would love to hear your ideas.

Some of the songs being considered:
Kentucky Mountain Music
Music influenced by turkish music: http://www.turkishmusicportal.org/list_songs.php?type=11
Turkish classical music - http://www.turkishmusicportal.org/listen.php?id=460 Leylim Ley

In other news: in September I will be interning at Florence Brunel Artistic Agency (at the moment she does not have a webpage, that's one of my jobs!) near Chinatown in Paris. She mainly has baroque music clients: opera singers, a couple groups, and a few instrumentalists. Some include: VENICE BAROQUE ORCHESTRAGABRIELI CONSORT & PLAYERS, CAPRICCIO STRAVAGANTE SKIP SEMPE, GIULIANO CARMIGNOLA, etc!!!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment